Wednesday 7 December 2011

Winter Lullaby

Here is another of my Narnia poems, think of a young mother rocking her little child to sleep while outside winter howls and blows

Winter Lullaby

The wind is howling all around
With it's thin and wailing sound
The snow is blowing in the night
Clothed in eerie, pale white

But you, my treasure, rest your head
As I gently rock your bed
You are safe from winter's charms
Here within my loving arms

The wind may howl, the snow may blow
Yet you needn't fear them so
Sleep, for you are safe inside
From winter's chill and icy pride

The wind may knock upon the window pane
But do not stir, for you are safe
Sleep and listen as I sing
Of the great lion, who is King

He is strong and very wise
With fierce, yet gentle, smiling eyes
He has a golden, flowing mane;
Aslan is his noble name

In Him is all the good and true
That the world had ever knew;
He is highest of all high kings
Son of the Emperor beyond the sea

He is the one who made our land
The forest green and desert sand
He gave the wind its changing song
And taught the birds to sing along

He is the one who gave you day
In which you love to dance and play
And the night is His gift too
Though it is little loved by you

For you, my heart, are still young
And only want to play and run
But you must stop and rest your head
And snuggle in your warm, soft bed

Let the wind howl and howl away
You cannot hear it anyway
For as I lean and kiss your cheek
I see you have drifted off to sleep
 
Sleep my treasure, my heart, my own
And let the wind aimlessly roam
Allow the snow to whip the ground
For you, my child, are safe and sound

No comments:

Post a Comment